Great American Smokeout!
Today, November 17th, The American Cancer Society
marks the 36th annual Great American Smokeout
Use this date to prove to yourself you can quit for a day! If you can quit for a day, you can surely quit for a week, a month, a year, or forever! Take the important step towards a healthier life by making a plan to quit and to stick to that plan! The American Cancer Society website contains helpful information to help you on your smoke-free journey such as a Guide to Quitting Smoking, and the Benefits of Quitting Smoking over time.
Acupuncture for Smoking Cessation
By balancing your body’s brain chemistry, acupuncture treatments can reduce cravings and alleviate the physical and emotional withdrawal symptoms associated with your efforts to quit smoking, such as irritability, anxiety, restlessness, and difficulty concentrating. It also aids in relaxation by calming the nervous sysem, and promotes detoxification as it cleanses your system of toxins. One study found that acupuncture significantly reduced the desire to smoke for up to five years after the initial treatment, and that cigarettes tasted worse than before the treatments. Acupuncture is a safe, drug-free and side effect free method to help you quit smoking!
Make today first day of the rest of your healthy and smoke-free life!!
Tips to Quit Smoking
We all know that quitting smoking may be one of the hardest things to do but here are some diet and lifestyle tips to help you make the transition easier.
- Exercise more. Exercise can reduce your stress and help you relax far better than cigarettes.
- Get plenty of fresh fruit and vegetable juices to neutralize and clear the blood of nicotinic acid and to fortify blood sugar.
- Carrots, carrot juice, celery, leafy green salads and citrus fruits promote body alkalinity and decrease cravings.
- Avoid junk food, sugar and coffee. They can upset blood sugar levels and increase blood acidity which can aggravate smoking withdrawal symptoms.
- Lobelia Tea or Green Tea can be sipped daily during the detox period to keep tissues flooded with elements that discourage nicotine cravings. Lobelia is traditionally used to rid the body of a strong toxin such as a snake bite.
- Drink water. Research shows that dryness causes cravings. Sip water frequently throughout the day.
- Practice deep breathing exercises to increase body oxygen and keep calm.
- Schedule your acupuncture treatment!